2005 Adrenalin 4wd Reliability

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Curtis F

Reaction score
I just replaced my 2003 XLT 4x2 Limited Slip with a 2005 Adrenaline open differential and am wondering how reliable the 4wd system is on this model. I had next to no problems with my '03 in the 11 years I owned it since new and I'm hoping this 2005 will be the same. It runs great but I'm wondering if there is anything I should be aware of or keep and eye on. I didn't see much after searching on 4x4 and 4wd in 4x4 category.

Unless there are maintenance records. I would replace all fluids. Then look at all the lube fluids for excess metal or water. Might get an Idea of wear and tear.

Look at the condition of the coolant for dirt or rusty look. That might tell you condition of the cooling system.

I am confused, DID you replace the whole truck or just the rear end??

Todd Z

That's correct. I replaced my the entire truck. Went from an '03 to an '05. I'm just curious as to how well the 4x4 drivetrain holds up; if there are things I need to look out for. The truck was well maintained meaning regular maintenance including fluids. I didn't have any issues with my '03 and I'm hoping this will be the same.

You will be in great shape. I am in my 2004 Adrenalin 4x4 and currently sitting at 183,000 miles. Congrats and welcome to the Adrenalin Club.

I did the same thing about two years ago. Went from 2003 4x2 with Limited Slip to a 2005 4x4 Adrenalin. Haven't had any issues with the 4wd. Works great.

I do have one question I haven't been able to find answer on the forum. I'm curious as to whether the transfer case can be upgraded/replaced with one that will allow the front and rear differentials to turn at different speeds? I usually only turn on the 4wd when offroad or in the snow but I'd like to get rid of the binding from turning when the conditions won't allow the wheel(s) to slip.

Latest posts