2002 4x4 Sport Trac

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Joseph Helsel

Reaction score
Was wondering on my 02 should I replace the calipers when I do a future brake job w/ new hoses? I'm planning new rotors and pads soon. have never been replaced.:banana:

I don't fix it if it ain't broke. If it feels as though it is sticking or not releasing well, maybe it is time.

Ed

I tend to agree. Some prescribe to the belief that the cost of calipers is low enough to justify replacing them each brake job as a preventive measure; I don't. To me, the failure rate of calipers is far too low to justify the cost and additional labor. Fix what's broke.

Inspect the brake fluid and consider a full flush.

Inspect the pads for uneven wear that may indicate uneven caliper movement. Often this is caused by the pins being dry or having rust on them. Inspect, clean and lube as part of the pad replacement.

Last edited by a moderator:
My late 2002 at 263,000 had original calipers, wheel cylinders, and master cylinder. Why? Twice a year I greased the sliders and changed out brake fluid.(bleed brakes) Cheap and easy

Latest posts