2001 Sports Trac Died then came back to life

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mark Heisser

Reaction score
Stopped at the store came out and my 01 Sports Trac wouldn't start, looked for the fuel pump reset but couldn't find it after about 30 min it just restarted and drove home fine, any ideas?

probably fuel pump going..... reset is under rubber passenger side floor, but its not automatic reset. so if you didn't touch it chances its fine, but check the wiring at its plug, I have seen it melt.

FYI Im a 2001 Sport Trac owner as well. If you have the same as mine we don't have a "returnable" fuel system. Which means the fuel rail doesn't have a regulator on it. Which means the fuel regulator is on the fuel pump hidden inside the fuel tank. Google "non-returnable" fuel system and understand a Ford "non-returnable" system and how it works. So don't waist your money on guessing. The fuel pump is "controlled" by your on board computer in connection with the mass flow sensor which signals the fuel pump which is a valuable speed pump and FYI is not tested by any pressure testing gauge rather a "volume tester". Fords answer to pump longevity is by having an on-demand system. On demand is when power is needed give it more fuel. Thats why a fuel pressure tester is useless in your driveway. I had same problem with intermit stalling and began my focus on ignition after having released two pumps. I replaced the Ignition coil including coil plug and ignition wires first. Then switched the "Fuel Pump" relay with a similar in the fuse box (there the small ones). Then re-set the on board computer vis instructions on how-to on you-tube. Completely fixed my stalling problem. Hope this helps.....

could be time for a pump..... the reset will NOT automatically fix it self, so its NOT that..... it could be the pulg on it or the wiring....

Lift the top of the floor at the passenger feet.... its in there....