2001 SPORT TRAC WEIRD NOISES

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

John Denton

Reaction score
My recent acquisition of a 2001 sport trac 2/4 WD may have me in a bind. after replacing a bad cat. conv. (flange not welded properly, so it popped loose) I have been looking on the net and find owners who have had wheel bearings, brakes etc. replaced ( even by dealers) and still had noise not fixed. This is what worries me. are Sport Tracs that hard to define bearing and other problems ? I owned a K-5 blazer 4 wd in the '70's and could always get trouble located accurately, Mine exhibits a sound like a bearing going out, but no wheel slack at any tire, and around 60 mph, starts to vibrate. No slack in steering. will get tires balanced, which may be vibration and will put new shocks on, ( if you know of any with a better ride, let me know !) the blazer would go anywhere, but rode more like a car than my sport trac, at least for now ) I wanted to know if I can put my 'Trac on stands/blocks and run at lower speeds to try and find problem of noisy whatever it is. at low speeds below 35 mph it is quiet, which made me wonder if wheel/ hub bearing as they usually make noise always once they start to go, and wondered if anyone had any advice about this, I used to repair all of my own vehicles, but now not so easy as no garage, and getting a little older, No problem with getting it done, just do not want to pay 3-4 hundred dollars and not have it fixed. Help!

To my way of thinking, if the noise is constant, it is time to look into it. Mine is a 2002 and the noise is intermittent. I can't tell if it is tires or bearings! As far as the ride quality, I have been told that 2002 and older ride like a truck and 2003 and newer ride like a car. Some of the other folks may have more information.

Ed

So it's a 15 year old car, probably with some miles on it right? Like how many miles? Front hub bearings on 4wd Tracs is a common issue. When I get a new-to-me car I start with the driveline fluids (oil change, transfer case, differentials) then work up from there.

Latest posts