200,000 mile ST

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Larry Gamble

Reaction score
I topped 200,000 miles in 2002 ST back in March... today it clicked over 205,000.

I have to say this is one of the best vehicles I have ever owned. Never left me stranded. Second motor (first was replaced under warranty) and original tranny (never rebuilt, although at 175k I did put a rebuilt solenoid pack in it). I've towed 4,000 lb trailers and made several 1k mile trips in this truck.

Ford had a real winner with this. I'm looking forward to another 25k miles before I get something new.

Mine just rolled 210,000 motor or trans never been opened. Only issue is the rear end had to be rebuilt. Due for frontend work and brakes soon.

Timing chain does rattle on cold starts but not while running.

Might take the gamble and run it till it make noise at idle all the time? I don't know when its too late to repair the timing chains?

309,000 on mine so far. Biggest problem has been keeping the AC charged. Engine, transmission, rear end, alternator, water pump, etc. all original. It has been outstanding in it's reliability.

rangerx - consider replacing the hydraulic timing chain tensioners.

YouTube:

<a href="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P4N5E_RfYpE" target="_blank">Part 1 (rear)</a>

<a href="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-LUdwhq-M3M" target="_blank">Part 2 (front)</a>

I did a ton of research on the noise. Seams like the tensioners might not always work She will make a little 2 second rattle at cold start and some times like a pinging noise above 3000 rpm. I had the truck since new and always did my own oil changes at or before 3k. Same Valvoline brand oil with a motor craft filter.

I could do my own chain replacement but it might last another 100k with the old one.

Seams like the tensioners might not always work

Do you mean that the tensioners currently installed may not always work or that replacing them may not always work to correct the problem?

That two-second rattle at cold start is an indication of the tensioners (the spring-hydraulic tensioners) spring having lost their sprung. If it is these tensioners, they do not work intermittently; they slowly die and take the timing chain guides with them over time. Timing chain guide replacement is something you want to avoid. There may be other problems, or a different problem, as well. Not an exact science.

The pinging at 3000 RPM is more likely a valve or ignition timing issue and there is a long list of possible culprits (fuel, sensors, timing chain(s), non-hydraulic tensioners, etc.).

My 01 is better than my 09 reliability-wise. However, that said, the 09's tranny is still original at 82K and the 01's had been rebuilt once at 65K, new valve body at 80K, and torque converter died at 125K, but the last two were done under the lifetime warranty of the 65K rebuild which probably only needed a solenoid anyway. That rebuild was done after the dealer did a tailshaft whine noise campaign at around 50K. Cracking it probably dirtied it up. If it ain't broke...

Latest posts