2.5" exhaust on a ST?

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Robert Hare

Reaction score
Did any Sport Tracs (any year) come with a stock 2.5" exhaust? I'm looking to find an over-axle 2.5 pipe that I can modify into either dual-out-the-back or dual-out-the-side. At least if it's off a Sport Trac there should be less work.

I tried a garage, had two bad experiences in a row. I'll do it myself. Thanks in advance.

With a V6 I would stay with 2.25" or 2" for dual tail pipes..If you are planing on single in dual out muffler. One reason loss of low end engine torque going too large. The other is clearance. Aftermarket single cat-back kits are 2.5". That is ok.

I had a plan to do do true duals from the RT-Ypipe, I hope. $600 worth of SS cats, x-pipe, mufflers, tubing and tips is the issue. Not including labor. I plan on using 2" or 2 1/8", front to rear. As to keep the low end torque up. 2 1/8" would keep the top end HP up. Our 4.0L air pumps have 4" pistons and almost the same stroke.

Buy the Kit from JC whitnmey..... Dual exhaust in a box.

Todd Z

Todd - Are you talking about the Hearthrob? I just can't find any pictures that shows where the pipes exit out the rear. It looks like it might be under the leaf springs, which is a good width.

Even if the puny glass pack mufflers blow out, they'd be easy to replace. Not a bad price to get all the right bends.

This is what I did for my V8:

**sorry, can't pull up an image from my library. Try going into my picture gallery and take a look**

Last edited by a moderator:
The pics of Heartthrob that used to be in J.C. Whitney showed the pipes going straight out the back. That is the only dual kit that looks like duals. Gibson has a single-in dual-out muffler kit but the pipes both exit on the right side.