10 Cars Mechanics Hate

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
"Toyota Camry

The Camry used to be the clear-cut winner when it came to reliability. Other cars are catching up, but it's still one of the most reliable performers around. Affordable and easy-to-get OEM parts, too.

Toyota Corolla

About all that's ever needed on the Corolla are regular maintenance and an occasional brake job. We're not making any money on this car, that's for sure. OEM parts are affordable, too.

Toyota Prius

Unfortunately for us, only dealers are currently servicing the expensive hybrid components in the Prius. That will change in time. But, for now, we're not making any money off the Prius.

The Prius is crammed full of technology, but Toyota has put plenty of effort into the layout, which is well thought out. Considering the number of components that are under the hood, the non-hybrid parts are pretty easy to access and service.

From our point of view, the Prius is terrible news for mechanics not even the brakes wear out, thanks to the regenerative braking system. All we get to install are wiper blades. How are you supposed to buy a pair of Jet Skis on that money?"

no surprise here :banana::driving:

My mother totaled a Camry in a rear end situation at about 45mph. ABS did not work and airbags did not deploy. There should have been enough time to slow and minimize the damage to an inconvenience rather than a total had the ABS worked. Because of the airbag failure she hit her head on the windshield hard enough to crack it. The front end looked like she put it into the rear of a dump truck rather than another mid sized sedan. She was advised to bring suit against Toyota because of the failure of the safety features, but she didn't want to deal with a lawsuit.

She replaced it with an Accord that lasted 230k+ miles with 3 wrecks before my 17 year old sister totaled it last month. I drove it for 3 years in college and loved it. Before being totaled it had no issues other than routine maintenance.

I, for one, will never buy a Toyota. Add that to Chrysler/Dodge. I would recommend an Accord to anyone, though. And I do have a Ford '69 351 4bbl Windsor that still runs without ever having been rebuilt. I don't even know the actual mileage on it because the limits of the odometer. Just matters how you take care of them. Unless they're built like a Toyota, of course. Then you're just at the mercy of Toyota's "safety features."

See your using "hate" in a different light..... your saying they HATE them because the don't break down and are easily fixable...

There should be a list of actually HATED cars to work on..... Cars that mechanics will NOT touch with a 10 foot pole !!!!

AND I bet FORD is IN the top 10 with more then one on that one !!! :bwahaha:

Todd Z

I am with Todd Z. I thought the article was going to be a list of cars that Mechanics hated to work on because they were difficult to diagnose or sevice, required expensive special tools, or the parts where hard to get, etc.

...Rich

Todd,

See, you are missing the point. The same guy that wrote this article said a Camry at 80% domestic is "more American" that an Escape that is 90% domestic. I see this as nothing more than brilliant writing here.

Line my pockets and I will line yours.

Tom

I'd nominate the Fiat X1/9 as a difficult car to work on. Also difficult to get parts. Difficult to drive without something breaking. My ex-wife had one and it caused me to pull my hair out.

Gavin,,I read up on the fiat X1/9. Then almost bought one in '73, until the test drive. Pure junk. Saved myself a headache.

I have a customer that will not bring his Corvair to anyone else but me.....I seriously hate working on it. Have a few customers that have older Mercedes Benzs with semi-mechanical fuel injection...can't stand that system. Another customer with a 12 cylinder Jag...not happy about that one

I had an Impreza and I can say that mechanics hated not only for its reliability, but also everything is s#!*packed under the hood. A friend of mine that is a mechanic told me sorry, but I won't work on your car. The dealership wanted $600 to change the plugs because it is considered a four hour job. I called my friend and asked him to reconsider, but he said he had to do research to find out if he could save me time and money. I did some internet searching and found step-by-step instructions on what had to be removed to do the job, and also what extensions, sockets, and swivels had to be used in which order to be able to fit in between the fender and the cylinder head. It took me an hour and a half the first time that I changed the plugs myself and cost me less than $20. A couple months later I wasn't happy with the Iridium plugs so I switched to copper and it took me less than an hour. [Broken External Image]:

I was surprised at how easy it was, once I knew the procedure. I guess the dealership was trying to screw me when they said four hours- go figure.

There was even less room underneath to reach them. The driver side rear plug had the least amount of room of them all. If the coil/plug boot wasn't flexible you'd have to pull the engine to replace it. Obviously they would have re-engineered it if that were the case. Although, then it may justify their claim of four hours.

Latest posts