08 ST Spark Plug Change

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Peter V

Reaction score
This weekend, I am going to attempt the spark plug change on my 08-4.6L ST. After spending countless hours reading and searching, I finally determined that I have the "newer" head and spark plug design on the 4.6L motor. According to the sticker on my door, build date is 06/08 so I lucked out. The task doesn't look too difficult (knock on wood), just going to take my time and spend Saturday morning completing the job. I can't believe how much plugs were though. At $10/each with 8 cylinders, that's a good chunk of change! At least I am saving money performing the work myself.

Next task...swapping out all my bulbs with LEDs bulbs. So far, I've managed to swap out the license plate, puddle, and bed/3rd brake light out, all, with CREE led units. Such a vast improvement and very modern looking.

Changing out these plugs is easy, even easier with the engine-specific spark plug tool I found on Amazon. Recommend a dab of anti-seize on plug and dielectric grease on coil boot tip.[Broken External Image]:

Thanks Vic for the suggestions...I do have anti-seize but forgot to pick up the dielectric grease. This task doesn't look to difficult at all though.

Spark plug change went pretty smoothly today. It took me about 2 hours because I took my time and had a little brunch break between sides. Not sure when the plugs were last changed, but I will confirm who ever did them, DID use anti-sieze AND dielectric grease. I did the same. Next inspection/change, 50K miles.

@ JohnnyB, I purchased the LED bulbs from eBay. All the lights I replaced thus far, are 194 bulbs. For the plate lights, you need to make sure you buy shallow wedge bulbs, otherwise they will be too long.

I prefer the copper anti-sieze vs graphite anti-sieze. The fine particles of copper makes for a better ground continuity. Thru the plug threads to the head. Especialy with aluminum heads. JMHO.......

Many parts stores will sell the copper type, if you tell them it is for spark plug threads. The small 1oz tube is good for, 6 or more plug changes.

Latest posts