'07 ST owners...FYI

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Olivia Snyder

Reaction score
Went to the dealership yesterday with my '07 to ask about my crackling clearcoat and paint and also about my leakiing radiator. When I first noticed these problems, I blew it off thinking I just got a bad radiator and an unlucky paint job. When I was researching it, both appear to be common issues and there are TSBs for both. Knew I wouldn't really get anywhere, esp with the paint, but thought I would try anyway. But apparently, in the earlier tracs (build date prior to 8/8/2006), the radiators begin to leak where the aluminum is sealed. There is a programming issue with the fan and it doesn't run as long or necessarily when it needs to causing the aluminum to get too hot and the seal to "break", leading to a leaknig radiator. The person I spoke to said the was a VERY common problem and has seen people replace 4 in a year. The recommended fix is to replace the radiator (if leaking) and have Ford update the programming for the fan. Even if you replace the radiator but don't get the computer updated, it will reapeat the problem. So if you haven't had an issue with your radiator yet, you might want to check into getting it updated. I would also suggest calling and placing a complaint with Ford so maybe they will recall it. Dealership said that's the only way they will fix it if it is out of warranty. If they knew there was a problem and it came from the factory like that and it was an issue due to their engineering, I don't think its the consumers problem. Ford should fix it. But maybe I just need to lower my expectations.

Latest posts