07 ST Hitch

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Well, I'm new here and have just bought a 2007 Limited. It has a small hitch draw bar hole (1 1/4" x 1 1/4") and there doesn't seem to be a way of changing it to the 2" x 2", which I want to do. Looks like the rear beam under the bumper is welded to the frame? Any ideas how to get to the larger 2" square receiver hole? Thanks in advance for all ideas and comments.

Steven

Most economical way is to buy a 2" receiver, cut the old one out and weld in the 2". You may find that liability is an issue with a welding shop. The only difference between the two from the factory is the hole for the seven pin connector and the receiver size. You can buy a replacement crossmember, but it's pricy.

Several people have had good welding shops cut it out and install the 2"

Todd Z

I had a weld shop here in town weld it in for me. I did all the prep work, cutting out the old, and fitting the new 2" receiver blank (that can be bought on Amazon for about $12).

He charged me $80. Painted it up when I got home and put my bumper cover back on.

Anyone have pictures of this 2" square hitch receiver blank weld on to upgrade the 1 1/4" Class II receiver on a 2007+ Sport Trac?

Not really but some members have done it, but your not welding it on, your cutting the welds on the factory one, opening up the frame and welding in a new one.

Its fairly simple and done correctly will work perfect with strong results.

OK, like this then? 2" weld on receiver is Curt 49060, 6" long.
Class II Hitch Front Cut.jpg

Class II Hitch Rear Cut.jpg

Curt 49060 Weld On.jpg

Yes sir.... you nailed it..... then use a high quality por 15 paint and it will last a lifetime...

I don't know for sure, the shop that did it likely used a torch or a plasma cutter. Their workmanship was excellent, perfect welds.

No reason to cut another hole in the rear frame member, mount the connector underneath.

The people that have done this on their own have used an angle grinder and just cut the weld clean off and the piece was able to come out.