07' Sport Trac 4.0 Oil Leaks

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
https://www.rockauto.com/en/moreinfo.php?pk=5969469&cc=1433278&pt=5756
Aloha Dillard, here is a kit from Rock Auto, it's about 400.00 less than what the Ford dealership wants in my area. I think you mentioned this brand as being good. Mahalo
I've had good luck with Cloyes, both in this engine & others.
The kit you've linked, does have the Timing parts for the BalancerShaft;
again confirm with your mechanic that your engine does or does not have a BalancerShaft.
Critical item is that smaller CrankShaft TimingSprocket; it's different for engines with\without Balancer.

Aloha Dillard, good points. My mechanic is very fair. Thinking of going this front timing chain route for now. I will try to get Ford MotorCraft parts but like your other options as well. I do use a Ford synthetic blend for oil and was doing it every 4-5k but can change if that could help increase longevity after this work. Thank you again. Mahalo!
Temps never get too cold or hot in HI, so I'd use a premium brand 5w30.FullSyn or 5w40.FulSyn.
Do a Filter change every 4kMiles\6mths; change Oil at least every 8kMiles\12mths if not with every Filter change.
Brand really does not matter as much as just routinely doing the maintenance.
Recommend doing a "GasPedalToFloor" 5~10sec crank prior to starting when engin is 12+ hours cold,
to pre-oil the internals, especially the notorious TimingTensioners.

Temps never get too cold or hot in HI, so I'd use a premium brand 5w30.FullSyn or 5w40.FulSyn.
Do a Filter change every 4kMiles\6mths; change Oil at least every 8kMiles\12mths if not with every Filter change.
Brand really does not matter as much as just routinely doing the maintenance.
Recommend doing a "GasPedalToFloor" 5~10sec crank prior to starting when engin is 12+ hours cold,
to pre-oil the internals, especially the notorious TimingTensioners.
Aloha Dillard, thank you as always! Currently in CA, truck and I originally from the islands, hope to return one day soon!

I will check out that gaspedaltofloor before turning the key to start! A couple people have brought up locally getting a reman engine. My question would be what brand of parts were used and their warranty. My mechanic is fine either way with servicing the front of my original motor or taking it out and dropping in a reman. We'll see. Mahalo!

Aloha Dillard, Phil, Brett my VIN has a "K" in it. Question: can my vehicle accept an engine that comes from 2nd Gen Sport Trac with an "E?"

Just curious about this as my mechanic brought up the idea of possibly getting a good donor engine with lower miles out of another Sport Trac between 2007-2011. I also wonder if I am limited to only the Sport Trac or can a regular Explorer from those years work?

My mechanic and I were thinking if we found a good low mileage donor, we could do the time chains, water pump, switch over some of the newer parts from my engine to it. Just thought.

Thank you all. Mahalo!

...VIN has a "K"
...can my vehicle accept an engine that comes from 2nd Gen Sport Trac with an "E?"
...mechanic brought up the idea of possibly getting a good donor engine with lower miles
..wonder if I am limited to only the Sport Trac or can a regular Explorer from those years work?
...thinking if we found a good low mileage donor, we could do the time chains, water pump, switch over some of the newer parts from my engine
Yep, lower ends for 1997~2011 V6~4.0L~SOHC Engines are all same, meaning
OilPan+Girdle+Block+Heads+WaterPump+TimingCover+...
Upper fittings evolved over those years, so compare items on older engine to newer:
ValveCovers+IntakeManifold+ThrottleBody+AirDuct+ThermoStatHousing+EGR+PCV+...
For items that are same, make a judgement\choice for those in better shape.
Of course, reuse original ElectricalHarness & Vacuum+CoolantHose arrangements.
If you do swap engines, I'd still renew all OilPanGaskets+TimingParts+CranksSeals+Plugs on newer engine & consider replacing stock OilPump for a HighVolumeMelling unit, before install.
Then renew ValveCover+ManifoldGaskets after install.

Last edited:
As long as the difference in money is acceptable

Aloha Dillard & Phil, thank you! Yes, if I could score a nice low mileage engine and do the timing chains, better oil pump, new water pump, injectors and gaskets I would. I know of some engines right now with 70-90K on them. I didn't know if I had to stay in the same years or could look at a broader range. Of course need to add all the numbers up to see if going used is cheaper overall than a rebuilt one. Thank you very much! Mahalo

Aloha Dillard & Phil, I met someone that said they were able to get a nice low mileage donor engine out of a 2007 Mustang of all things. It is a 4.0 SOHC and I believe they had to swap things over. Be nice to find one under 80,000 miles for a good price, then do all the timing chain parts, gaskets, water pump and heavy duty oil pump. Keeping my eyes out on the ads as my mechanic friend said he's up for this and swapping out engines at some point. Will keep you posted. Mahalo!

Considering $ difference, I'd likely choose the Cloyes kit.
Again be sure to order proper timing kit for engin With\WOut Balancer.

Latest posts