1. Welcome to the new home for MySportTrac.com!

Please click here to find all the info about the move to the new site!

To access your account you will need to reset your password here

07 overheating

Thread in 'Help Forum' started by James Brettelle, Oct 2, 2019.

1. James Brettelle

James Brettelle Member

I have a 2007 4x4 4.6 limited. I am have overheating issues sporadically. I've already changed fan clutch (was told it was bad). I am about to change coolant, supposed to be yellow mine is green. Any ideas on what else could be causing this. Seems to do it more when i pull a hole shot. Love the sound can't help it.

2. EddieS'04

EddieS'04 Well-Known Member 1st Gen Owner 2 Wheel Drive V6 Engine

Have you changed the T-Stat??

3. James Brettelle

James Brettelle Member

Mo not yet. Usually when i've had one go bad,it's either bad or good never been intermittent.

4. EddieS'04

EddieS'04 Well-Known Member 1st Gen Owner 2 Wheel Drive V6 Engine

I have them to open enough for normal driving. But not fully open. So when the extra cooling was needed, not enough circulation. The last one that did that to me. Was about 6yrs ago in my '04 Trac. Around town in moving traffic was good. Long term Idling and 70mph on highway, temps went way up. Pulled the t-stat, put it in boiling water next to a new one. With a thermometer, from the old t-stats range to boiling, it never opened more than halfway.
    About 16 years ago I got a bad new one. Ever since then I test new ones before all the labor.
    I personaly dont like some of the ford oem t-stats. The ones the have a flow restrictor plate. You cant see if the disc is fully open. I buy stant or murry that the disc is exsposed. That way I can be assured of full open, and test at what temp it starts opening. After 50 years of tinkering and building, I tend to get nerdy....

5. Richard McAlister

Richard McAlister Active Member 2nd Gen Owner V8 Engine

I had intermittent overheating (at least that's what the temp gauge said) to the point where a check engine light came on and the engine went into limp mode ('10 4.6L). It acted like the head temp sensor was bad, but was advised to change the thermostat. I did so and have not had a problem since (about a year now).

6. James Brettelle

James Brettelle Member

As soon as I gain retake control of my garage again I am changing coolant and stat. But I dont think thats it. It always follows the rushing air sound from fan. That is supposed to indicate bad clutch fan, but that was replaced less than a month ago. Leaning to electrical problem, really hope I am wrong.

7. Todd Z

Todd Z Well-Known Member 2nd Gen Owner V6 Engine V8 Engine

could be air in the system, Bad t stat, bad sender, bad water pump, Slipping belt..