'03 Speaker Wattage and Impedance

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I'm getting ready to install a Pioneer AVIC-D3. The installation instructions say that following:

"Connect to this unit only high-powered speakers of over 50W and with impedance between 4 and 8 ohms. Though there are speaker systems with low impedance between 1 and 3 ohms, you must not connect these to this unit."

I tried to get the speaker grills off the door speakers so that I could check myself, but didn't know what the trick was. So, does anyone know what the stock '03 ST speakers are rated for power and impedance? Oh, and how do you get the speaker grills off?

Thanks,

Adam

When I changed the speakers in my 02 out they said 25 watts and 4 ohms on the back. You can't get the grill off because its glued to the speaker. Hope that helps.

As long as you don't turn the volume all the way up you should be fine. If you have distortion turn the volume down. Over powering a speaker will only blow it if you turn it up too far and distort it.

You have to remove the whole interior door panel. It basically snaps into place although there are some screws you will need to remove first so look at the door panel carefully before you go pulling on it. Once you get that off you can unscrew the speakers from there. I replaced all four of mine (front and back) with Infinity 2-way 6x8's (why Ford didn't just use 6x9's is by me). Anyway, if you are just hooking up a new head unit you can just hook it up to the stock speakers if you aren't replacing them, no worries there. They won't sound as good as after-market one's but I ran three different head units on my stocks before I changed the speakers out.

The four screws around the outside of the speaker and undo the wiring harness clip from the speaker. Takes 5 mins max if the door panel is already off. My suggestion is run the stock speakers until one or more blow or until you get new ones, find a deal on some half decent speakers and put them in. IIRC I've seen cheap walmart pioneers i believe that were 50w rated and they were like 30-50 bucks for a set . Just my opinion though.

Nah if you aren't careful you will just blow them. In which case you replace with with $30-50 walmart specials like Mr Rugby said :)

Latest posts