'02 Sporttrac O/D Light Flash

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Doug Menkhaus

Reaction score
OK, so last spring I pulled the engine to replace the oil pump (locked up/broken drive shaft) and while out replaced the timing chains and tensioners/guides. I'm approaching 140,000 miles?

reading throug the forums last night that the transmission may have a problem with a faulty valve body gasket.

OK, so last year, my O/D light started flashing about 3 miles from my house. Drove home in 'limp home' mode, shut it off, and started it later to no problems. Never saw the problem again.

However, perusing through the Forums last night, I see this could be a tell tale sign of impending doom.

Mind you, I have no flashing O/D light now, but the truck is an '02. 140K on the odometer, with a fresh engine out timing chain redo, so I'd like to catch it early if I can.

Should I order the transmission rebuild kit and install? Thoughts?

Thanks, Doogie

If your not having any trans issues. No OD light. I would only replace the valve body with the upgrade gasket assy.

Thanks, That's what I was thinking (I re-read my post, I didn't mean to say rebuild kit, I meant rebuilt valve body/gasket).

Any idea who sells these? recommendations? TIA!

Doogie

My OD light flash for a few seconds a few months ago. I have an 01 Job 2. Eventually, the reverse band snapped, but that was a traumatic event that I've never seen in the 17 years that I've been here. Anyway... the OD light never flashed again afterward and the transmission worked fine until that fateful day that I backed up a steep hill and SNAP. No reverse. Sounded like the whole bottom of the truck blew off.

Mark K., WOW! That must have been a scary moment! I can only imagine! I think I will go ahead and replace the gaskets at least, and give a proper fluid change... I've never heard of a reverse band snap... WOW!

Most problems with these transmissions are as follows: 1) valve-body gasket is the repair everyone seems to catch....
However the often missed one is: 2) the servo bores that many miss.
There are servo bores & or inserts to fix this:

Welcome Rusty, and great first post! Gotta love "FordTech's" videos. Easy to understand and thorough. Thanks!

Latest posts