1. Welcome to the new home for MySportTrac.com!

Please click here to find all the info about the move to the new site!

To access your account you will need to reset your password here

01 ST intake issues?

Thread in 'Help Forum' started by Dan Stafford, Sep 2, 2019.

1. Dan Stafford

Dan Stafford Member 1st Gen Owner 2 Wheel Drive V6 Engine

Hey all! ,
    I have an 01’ ST with 209,000 on it. I just cleaned the throttle body today. Still doesn't feel right. It has new fuel pump,fuel filter. I removed PCV and cleaned. How does anyone feel about the SEAFOAM through the vacuum line trick? Also loses air flow when i nail it.

2. EddieS'04

EddieS'04 Well-Known Member 1st Gen Owner 2 Wheel Drive V6 Engine

You should replace the PCV not clean it. Also have you checked both ends of the rubber hoses on the pcv line for cracks. That is if you have gen one with the oil filler on the pasenger side. The early '01 had the oil filler on the driver side and a different upper intake. Some of those have upper intake O-ring leaks, at high milage.
    Also when you cleaned the TB you should also get some MAF cleaner or electronics cleaner, that leaves no film, and clean it. Dont touch the wires though. They are very easely broken. The MAF can get a dust build up on the wires, and send a bad signal.

swshawaii likes this.
  3. Dan Stafford

Eddie,
    I got this Ford from a buddy at my apartments, he let it sit for like three years because he didn’t know anything about being a mechanic. My background is in the army as a diesel mechanic and I currently work as a mechanic. I change the lower and upper intake manifold gaskets valve cover gasket’s, water pump, fuel pump. And a freeze plug. I drive a 6.2 L F2 50 for work. So when I get in the six I feel like it needs more power which it does. But I did not clean the MAF. So I should unhook the battery clean that thoroughly. And go ahead and change the PCV valve? Also when I give it throttle I lose vacuum. I’ve called AutoZone and went by there they do not have the check valve that everybody keeps referring to. I’m not one to look at a down vehicle and think that I can’t fix it.! The guy give it to me for free LOL air blows cold! The back rear window is a pain in my ass though I will say! I have not change the spark plugs either. Thanks for all the info you can give on the 4.0 yes the oil fill is on the passenger side.

4. EddieS'04

EddieS'04 Well-Known Member 1st Gen Owner 2 Wheel Drive V6 Engine

The rubber elbow on the the pcv line, at the front of the upper intake. Is the one known to split on the bottom. Not sure if you still buy it. Some have found other elbows to use. I have uploaded a pic of the complete assy. Im not sure of the check valve you say others are speaking of. I dont find you discussing it in any threads. As you know any gas motor looses vacuum temporarly on throtle up. You should be able to find an intake port. Use a vacuum gauge and hand throttle the TB to say 2000rpm. After stability the vacuum should come back off of zero.
    If you are talking about loosing the vacuum to the dash, then the ducts change direction. That will be a vacuum reserve ball that is checkvalved. It is located inside the right front fender inner panel.
    You can clean the MAF sensor, by lifting the air filter box lid. No need to remove the MAF.
    Our 4.0L motors are not all that strong. Unless we do some computer tuning and some bolt on performance parts. Those are getting rare. You say your motor has 209k miles. You may have alot of ring wear causing blow buy and lose of power.
    Hose3.jpg

swshawaii likes this.
  5. Dan Stafford

Greatly appreciate it thank you