01 front brake job

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

George Doogle

Reaction score
'01 4x2 with 68K. Going to do the front rotors & pads myself this weekend. Haven't done this since I was 16. I've got the shop manual plus read every post and project on the topic. Couple of questions:

1. Is it absolutely necessary, or just common sense, to replace the inner & outer bearings when doing the brakes?

2. When I go to the parts store, how does the novice tell them which pads I want? (Advance Auto lists 23 different types & Autozone has 6.) Is there a brand to avoid?

3. Several posts mention putting something on the rear of the pads to avoid squealing. What is it and does it come with the pads?

Thanks for your help! This site has been a huge help.

GD

If you are replacing the rotors, they should come with new races for both the inner and outer races. (At least my new rotors did.)

I would suggest getting ceramic pads as they produce much less dust than regular pads do.

I forget what it is called, but some new pads do come with a packet (you can also buy separately) of 'stuff' that you put on back side of pads where they come in contact with the piston and calipers. This stuff helps hold the pads to those surfaces to keeps them off the rotor when the brakes are released, thus reducing extra wear and squealing.

Last edited by a moderator:
At Advance, go with the "Bendix" brand pads. They cost a little more, but they're the last set of front pads you buy for the vehicle, as they have a lifetime warranty, and when they wear down, you can go trade them in for a new set. I believe the part number is MKD 833. Replace the bearings. For what they cost, it's good insurance.