'01 4x2 spindle nut torque

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

George Doogle

Reaction score
The '01 Ford Workshop Manual has a picture showing the spindle nut should be tightened to 2mn (17 lb/in) while rotating the brake disc and hub. I can't find where it says anything tighter than that. Am I reading this right? I just had a new outer bearing fail and was wondering if I didn't tighten it enough after replacing the ball joints several weeks ago.

I assume you are referring to a 2WD model, if that is the case, though I don't know the exact number, it is relatively low.

I have always tightened it to the point I could not longer get movement in the wheel (which would show the bearing moving on the spindle shaft) and then 1/4 to 1/2 a turn, whatever it took to get to a good cotter pin line-up point...

I then would re-check it a few days later as play sometimes arises once the grease thins out a bit...

I recently did mine too and asked my 67 year old dad what he thought and he said that is the way he has always done his and was taught that way by his dad.

While rorating the rotor. Torque to 25ft/lb pre-load. Back off 1/2 turn. Then torque to 17in/lb, while rotating rotor. Cottor key it then.

Latest posts